Helpful Handyman and Cleaning Tips
Carpet and Upholstry Cleaning:
Check the outside of your cleaner bottle. The cap may have spilled a little cleaner on the outside. Is it sticky to the touch after it has dried? That could mean it can attract dirt. Some manufactures want to assure you keep buying their cleaner. Some "new" cleaners may just be old relabeled formulas. There has been research that points to some commercial carpet cleaners being a leading cause of cancer. You may want to try biodegradable earth friendly cleaners.
When using a ladder, you always want to have three points of contact on the the ladder. Either two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot while climbing the ladder. This way, you are more likely to catch yourself if you happen to slip.
Put Painting on Hold:
If you are stopped in the middle of a painting project, you can put your brushes, rollers and paint cans on hold by putting all the supplies in a garbage bag and sealing it tight. This way, they will not dry out and can be used for several days after without having to clean up each time before the project is finished.
Stain Cleaning Solutions for those of you that want to do it yourself:
In fabric manufacturing on or more more fibers may be used and sometimes the fibers are blended. Removing stains from one type of fiber may be successful, but not so much from others. The following formulas may be used in the 5 Formula / Solutions shown below to remove many types of stains.
The 5 Formula / Solutions below can be combined. Use each of the cleaning formulas in the exact number order indicated after the stain in the Stain Chart until the stain is removed.
Use small amounts of the formula with a clean white or absorbent paper or cloth towel.
Blot frequently and continue to apply and blot until the stain is no longer transferred to the blotting material. Any remaining moisture may be picked up by blotting with a towel and weighting it down for up to six hours.
Before removal Things to Know:
- Pretest - The removal techniques should be tested on an inconspicuous area of the fabric first.
- Do not over wet. Work with small amounts and blot frequently. Try not to rub or brush too much as it can cause distortion.
- Work from the outer edges to the center of the stain.
- Some stains are slow to respond.
- If there are doubts about a procedure call us. We use exclusive enzyme active cleaners and you may want to leave it to us.
- Be sure to use rubber gloves. Also, good ventilation is advisable.
The 5 Formula / Solutions:
- Apply a small amount of dry cleaning solvent to the stain. Found on Amazon and eBay and home and garden centers.
- Mix one teaspoon of mild dish washing detergent (should contain no bleach or strong alkalies)with a cup of warm water and apply to the stain.
- Mix one teaspoon of household ammonia with a cup of room temp water and apply to the stain.
- Mix 1/3rd cup of white household vinegar with 2/3rd cup of water and apply.
- Mix a solution of powdered enzyme laundry detergent following the box label and leave on for the manufactures recommended time. Some detergents are oxygenated now and may also be used just be sure to test first.
Try peanut butter on chewing gum first and clean the peanut butter out with the butter formula 1,2,4
Try a little WD-40 on a paper towel with any of the oil based stains and glue stains. Wash out with 2,5
(Go To www.wd40.com for 2001+ uses)
Check back often for more helpful hints and tips!